Wednesday, June 26, 2019

"The Miracle Mile Shot" mini-documentary as told by Ithaka Darin Pappas










About the mini-documentary: "The Miracle Mile Shot":


"The Miracle Mile Shot" is an experimental, non-dialogue short-subject documentary film by Greek-American artist-photographer Ithaka Darin Pappas. This is the third in his series of hip-hop Photomentaries almost entirely relying on his own archival imagery of West Coast rap artists.


"I begin seeing these incredible documentaries randomly at different times and places around the world, on planes, at friends houses etc. And it took me a minute to realize that all of this compelling story-telling; Jazz, The Civil War, and The National Parks: America's Best Idea were coming from the same source, Ken Burns. His projects can tell an entire story with only still photographs if necessary, it's amazing.

I realized that I was the creator of much of the kind of raw still photographic material that Mr. Burns uses for his projects, and it has inspired me to begin to edit and present these images in a film format to tell a story. The Miracle Mile Shot is my third short-subject film festival project. I have already completed earlier this year "Eazy E & Venice Locals (A Historic Day in the Brotherhood of Hip Hop and Skateboarding".


I call these projects Photomentaries, meaning at this point I am only using still photographs in movement, with sound and text to vocal communicate ideas. I am not sure I will ever incorporate narration, I am enjoying the closed-mouth communication direction of it all and think I'd like to take it to the next level and even try a much longer project, of up to an hour.




No comments:

Post a Comment